Paleo Coconut Tortillas (GAPS, Paleo, GF, DF)
This month is Celiac Awareness Month and I am doing everything I can to help my celiac sisters this week!
For one, I created a resource I WISH I had when I was first diagnosed with celiac disease, and I am giving it away FOR FREE!
The Realistic Holistic Quickstart Guide to Going Gluten-Free is a completely simplified roadmap to starting your gluten-free journey the right way!
Don’t fall into all the traps I did.
I can’t tell you how many times I “got glutened” when I thought I was eating safe foods because I didn’t know that “spices” as an ingredient could contain gluten or that products that you would assume are gluten-free like Emergen-C have gluten snuck in there. (Also though… why guys? Do you really need gluten in a vitamin C powder… common)
This guide breaks down what is gluten-free and what is not. It gives you allllll those sneaky names for hidden gluten that might not be so obvious. It points out certain products to be weary of. AND it provides you with 7 breakfast, 7 lunches and 7 dinners that are all gluten-free, paleo, and dairy-free. These recipes will show you that being gluten-free can also be totally delicious. Plus, I’ve focused on meals containing nutrients that will help you heal your gut even faster!
Secondly, I have been creating like crazy in the kitchen to come up with even more mind-blowing gluten-free creations to replace our gluten-filled comfort & convenience foods.
This paleo coconut tortilla recipe has been a huge success in my household.
It only contains 4 simple (inexpensive) ingredients and take 15 minutes to make!
You can make them in large batches and they will keep in the fridge for a week full of tortillas!
Who says you can’t eat what everyone else eats?!!?
Paleo Coconut Tortillas
TIME: 15 minutes
SERVES: 12 small or 6 large tortillas
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk (I use Silk, because it is affordable but does not contain carrageenan - a strong gut irritant.)
3/4 tsp himalayan pink salt
1) In a large bowl, whisk all ingredients together until smooth.
2) Let the batter sit for a minute or two to account for the natural thickening caused by coconut flour. The batter should be very runny right before cooking and should pour easily. If it does not, add more almond milk & eggs in equal proportions to achieve this.
3) Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat and grease lightly with coconut oil.
4) Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the skillet and immediately tilt in different directions to evenly distribute. You can fill the sides with a little more batter if needed.
5) Cook, covered with a lid, until the edges are golden and you see bubbles forming the middle. The edges will curl inward when you lift the lid (about 1-2 minutes).
6) Flip over, cover again, and cook until browned on the other side (1-2 more minutes).
7) Repeat until the batter is used up!
8) Throw whatever the heck you’ve been dreaming of putting on a tortilla since you went gluten-free and bask in the glory that this deliciousness and nutritiousness.
If you make this recipe, please feel free to take a pic and tag me on instagram @realistic.holistic and use #realisticholistic :) I’ll be sure to share your culinary adventure!
COMMENT below if you have any questions or suggestions!
SHARE this with someone you know who is going gluten-free, celiac or really just anyone who is living a gluten-free lifestyle!
As always, thanks for stopping by!
Kisses & kombucha,