Keto Flax Bread (GF, DF, Paleo)
A lot of us love our bread and feel we just can't live without it, even if we know it's not the best thing for us. Bread is everywhere & so integrated into the way we grew up and have been taught to eat! Toast at breakfast, sandwich at lunch, maybe a roll with dinner. Unfortunately, most breads are full of things are are less than ideal for our health. Gluten, sugar, preservatives, and vegetable oils for starters. All of these things are inflammatory on their own and when put together, as they are in most conventional breads, they become addictive inflammation bombs!
I'm sorry to hate on bread so hard guys, I had to break up with it a long time ago when I was diagnosed with celiac disease. And, as most people with autoimmune disease don't do well with grains in general, I just didn't bother trying to find a replacement. I went cold turkey. I can understand that that is NOT realistic for most people. SO, if you are trying to find a better bread, maybe trying to reduce carbs, experiment with keto, lose weight, reduce inflammation or improve digestion... I might just have your answer!
Introducing my Homemade Keto Flax Bread! It is completely gluten-free, dairy-free & paleo. Naturally, it features flaxseeds, fantastic for providing some anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids, loads of fibre and lignins to help balance hormones! I'll take that over nutrient-poor flours any day!
This bread is high in healthy fats, not only from the flaxseeds but also from eggs & coconut oil. This means all you need is a slice to keep you full and energized all day long.
Try it with almond butter, smashed avocado or a sunny side egg on top! Enjoy friends! Bread doesn't have to be so bad!
Keto Flax Bread
TIME: 1 hour
- 2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. If you haven't already ground your flaxseeds, you may do so in a food processor or high powder blender until they make a flour
2) Mix flaxseed, baking powder & sea salt in a large bowl
3) Blend eggs, water & coconut oil in a blender for 20-30 seconds. (Don't go too long or it will get too fluffy!)
4) Mix egg blend with flax blend & whisk to combine into a dough. Let sit for 1-2 minutes to let thicken.
5) Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet, distribute evenly and smooth the top with a spoon.
6) If you would like, sprinkle the sunflower seeds or any other seed you would prefer over top and pat down evenly.
7) Bake at 350 for 50 minutes, remove from over, let cool and enjoy!
NUTRITIENT INFO: Cals 209, Fat 16g, Carbs 7g, Fiber 5g, Sugar 0g, Protein 8g -- 5 net carbs!
Store this beauty in the fridge for up to a week or the freezer for longer.
Fair warning, this bread will keep you moving. ;)