Broccoli Turmeric Soup (AIP)
As some of you may know and many of you may experienced, Toronto is only now recovering from an ice storm that had most people stuck indoors all weekend. It was legitimately a little bit scary at times. Power was going out around the neighbourhood sporadically and a trees were falling nearby. All we could do was watch movies, read by candlelight and make dinner from whatever we had in the house.
Naturally, crappy weather & improvising with few ingredients means I'm going for a soup! Well, I'm so glad I did because this recipe will now feed me through the grey skies for the rest of the week! It will also be feeding some gut healing and reducing inflammation... which there might be a bit extra of due to the wine that went missing from our house during the storm. ;)
- The bone broth base will provide a unique blend of amino acids & minerals that aid in gut healing, improve bone health and create healthy skin & joints.
- The broccoli will provide glucosinolates to feed the mitochondria for improved energy levels.
- Along with the broccoli, garlic and onion will provide sulphurous compounds that will help up-regulate the sulphation pathway in the liver for extra detox of harmful chemicals as well as excess hormones.
- Ginger will help to tone the digestive tract and relieve gas or bloating.
- Turmeric, as well as that ginger, will provide an anti-inflammatory kick to the dish! The cur cumin will be easily absorbed along the healthy fats from the bone broth!
- The delicious taste will boost my serotonin & dopamine to keep me happy and unafraid of the storm! Woo!
Broccoli Turmeric Soup
This recipes is suitable for AIP, paleo, gluten-free & dairy-free diets. It can be made vegan/vegetarian by going with vegetable broth instead of bone broth.
MAKES: 6 SERVINGS
TIME: 1 HOUR
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 4 cups white onion (chopped)
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger (chopped)
- 8 cups broccoli (roughly 2 heads, chopped)
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 6 cups bone broth (or organic chicken/vegetable broth)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, and melt the coconut oil
- Add the garlic, ginger & onion, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or so, until the onions are translucent and fragrant.
- Add broccoli, turmeric, sea salt & broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Make sure broccoli is tender then let cool slightly before transferring to a blender or using a hand blender to make the soup creamy and smooth.
- Divide & enjoy!
This soup is delicious on it's own and provides a filling lunch! I like to play with toppings. Most recently I discovered a product called Rawcology that does coconut based mixes. They have one that uses nutritional yeast to make a "Say Cheeze" flavour so I threw that on top of the soup during one of my lunches for some extra healthy fats and a kick & crunch! It was delicious!
Play with recipes, have fun, & enjoy the power of nutrition!
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions and follow me on instagram @realistic.holistic to see as soon as I post a new recipe!!